Cybertory: virtual molecular biology lab
Enter the virtual laboratory.
Sequence analysis - Direct link to the tools (transcription-translation, sequence pattern search, sequence massager)
Simulation of celulose acetate electrophoresis of proteins
- Electrophoresis of either serum proteins or LDH isoenzymes on cellulose acetate strips.
- Only the final result is displayed.
- Reveal serum proteins by staining with Coomassie Blue, Amido Black or Ponceau Red, or by autoradiography.
- Reveal LDH with an enzyme assay.
- A single sample per run.
- Predefined profiles, both normal and pathological, or custom profile depending on given proportion of each component.
- Automatic plot of both the band pattern on the cellulose acetate strip and its densitogram. Possibility to overlay successive densitograms in the same plot for comparison.
- Clinical interpretation of serum protein profiles.
- Differential tissue profile of LDH isoenzymes.
- Clinical interpretation of LDH isoenzyme profiles.
Access the simulator for serum proteins and for LDH isoenzymes.
Simulation of SDS-PAGE electrophoresis of proteins
- Electrophoresis of proteins on a polyacrylamide gel with SDS; direct detection.
- Several acrylamide concentrations are available: 7.5; 10; 12 and 15%.
- 4 voltages are available to run the separation.
- One lane for standards and another for a sample.
- 7 standard proteins of known size and 10 unknown samples (with a single protein each).
- The progress of the separation is displayed.
- Automatic drawing of the calibration line and aided interpolation.
- Estimation of the molecular mass of the unknown proteins.
These are integrated into the simulation page:
Practice problem 1: influence of the voltage applied.
Practice problem 2: influence of the acrylamide concentration.
Practice problem 3: estimation of molecular mass of the unknown proteins.
Practice problem 4: determination of quaternary structure (I).
Practice problem 5: determination of quaternary structure (II).
Acces the simulator.
Simulation of column cromatography of proteins
- Several types of stationary phase, for:
- molecular exclusion (gel filtration)
- anionic and cationic exchange
- Analisis of samples made of 3 proteins.
- Choose among 13 predefined proteins or proteins with user-provided properties (Mr, pI).
- Shows progress of the protein bands along the column as well as así recording of chromatogram (absorbance versus elution volume).
- To illustrate the mechanism of separation on each type of matrix. Effect of pH on ion exchange.
- Assay of conditions for resolution of proteins in a sample (for example, for analysis or for purification).
Access the simulator.
Project: design of problem-solving activities using the simulator.
These are ready but not yet translated into English. You can check the Spanish versions or, if you are interested on them,
for setting an English translation.
- Protein electrophoresis on polyacrylamide gel with SDS (SDS-PAGE).
- UV absorption spectra for proteins and nucleic acids.
- Circular dichroism spectra of proteins.