Cybertory: virtual molecular biology lab
- Digestion of DNA with restriction enzymes (81 enzymes available).
- PCR amplification by multiplex PCR of DNA segments that include STR
polymorphic markers from CODIS (6 available) and a sex marker.
- PCR amplification by multiplex PCR of several polymorphic markers and species-specific sequences.
- Electrophoresis of DNA fragments on agarose or polyacrylamide gel and ethidium bromide staining.
- DNA sequencing using dideoxynucleotides and electrophoresis. Label with either a radioisotope, a fluorochrome or 4 fluorochromes.
- Molecular diagnostics with RFLP or PCR of genetic polymorphism.
- Forensic analysis of DNA.
- Paternity test using multiplex PCR of polymorphic STR genetic markers.
- Molecular analysis of foodstuff adulteration.
- Restriction mapping.
Enter the virtual laboratory.
- βA/βS polymorphism in the beta globin gene, responsible for sickle cell anemia
- Paternity test using multiplex PCR of STR markers.
- The others are in preparation. Please, contact the author if you are interested.
Simulation of celulose acetate electrophoresis of proteins
- Electrophoresis of either serum proteins or LDH isoenzymes on cellulose acetate strips.
- Only the final result is displayed.
- Reveal serum proteins by staining with Coomassie Blue, Amido Black or Ponceau Red, or by autoradiography.
- Reveal LDH with an enzyme assay.
- A single sample per run.
- Predefined profiles, both normal and pathological, or custom profile depending on given proportion of each component.
- Automatic plot of both the band pattern on the cellulose acetate strip and its densitogram. Possibility to overlay successive densitograms in the same plot for comparison.
- Clinical interpretation of serum protein profiles.
- Differential tissue profile of LDH isoenzymes.
- Clinical interpretation of LDH isoenzyme profiles.
Access the simulator for serum proteins and for LDH isoenzymes.
Simulation of column cromatography of proteins
- Several types of stationary phase, for:
- molecular exclusion (gel filtration)
- anionic and cationic exchange
- Analisis of samples made of 3 proteins.
- Choose among 13 predefined proteins or proteins with user-provided properties (Mr, pI).
- Shows progress of the protein bands along the column as well as así recording of chromatogram (absorbance versus elution volume).
- To illustrate the mechanism of separation on each type of matrix. Effect of pH on ion exchange.
- Assay of conditions for resolution of proteins in a sample (for example, for analysis or for purification).
Access the simulator.
Project: design of problem-solving activities using the simulator.
These are ready but not yet translated into English. You can check the Spanish versions or, if you are interested on them,
for setting an English translation.
- Protein electrophoresis on polyacrylamide gel with SDS (SDS-PAGE).
- UV absorption spectra for proteins and nucleic acids.
- Circular dichroism spectra of proteins.