Quick Guide to JChemPaint
Upon start, you will be presented with an empty working space, or canvas. (If you already drawn a molecule and want to start anew, choose the menu
- In the beginning, all atoms you add will be carbons; don't worry, it is better to change them into another element once you have them drawn.
- If the molecule contains rings, it is generally better to start with them.
- Then, draw the chains, one bond at a time: click on button (if not already selected) and then on the atom where you want the new atom to be linked. To bond two existing atoms, click on the first one and, without releasing the mouse button, drag to the second atom.
- To convert a single bond into double or triple, click on the single bond using the tool. You can also use and to add stereochemical information to an existing bond.
- To modify the chemical element of an existing atom, click on one of the buttons C H O N P S etc. and then click on the atom(s) whose identity you want to change.
- If you need other elements, you may use the periodic table
Positioning the mouse pointer over each button in the toolbar* you will see a floating tooltip with its function.
(* in the JCP panel, not here)
- Drawing or moving:
- With the drawing mode is activated, adding bonds.
- With you can move (translate) atoms. (You must have selected them previously.)
- Selecting atoms:
- You can select a single atom by clicking on and then clicking on the atom.
- To select a group of atoms, click on and draw a lasso line that surrounds the desired atoms.
- Remove atoms:
- To delete an atom, click on it after choosing the tool.
- To delete several atoms, select them with and then click on any of them with .
- Undo actions:
- To undo the last action, click on . (May be used successively.)
- To revert the effect of the last undo, click on .