Demonstration of available useful resources
The Protein Data Bank, www.pdb.org
A repository with all known structures of macromolecules
- DNA, RNA
- mixed complexes
- (few) oligosaccharides
- X-ray diffraction
- electron microscopy, neutron diffraction...
- associated publication
- many cross-links to other databases
PDB identifier: 4 digits (e.g.: 1CRN, 2HHO, 2Y1K)
"Structural View of Biology"
Thematic, categorised. Good for introduction, teaching, outreach.
It includes "PDB Molecule of the Month" by David S. Goodsell (very good for introduction, teaching, outreach)
"Proteopedia · Life in 3D: the free, collaborative 3D-encyclopedia of proteins & other molecules"
- All molecules in PDB have a Proteopedia page, automatically generated.
- In addition, any user may enrich the page (Mediawiki engine, same as Wikipedia, but expanded).
- Jmol/JSmol models are integrated, with "scenes" prepared by the author.
- In addition, independient pages about any topic.
- Workbench for student activities.
- Authors who contributed to each page are registered.
- Connected to a report in BaMBEd.